CNY Philanthropy Center Receives LEED Certification
Syracuse (March 31, 2014) – The Central New York Philanthropy Center, owned and operated by the Central New York Community Foundation, was recently awarded LEED® Certification. The Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) rating system was developed by the U.S. Green Building Council to recognize the best-in-class building strategies and practices for the design, construction and operation of “green” buildings.
The effort toward LEED Certification made the Community Foundation’s headquarters, located at 431 East Fayette Street, a healthy work and meeting space that benefits the region’s nonprofit organizations.
“We took the time to make it a healthy place for the Community Foundation to not only work in but to have the public come in and enjoy,” said Wayne Mandel, LEED-AP Project Manager for C&S Companies.
Before its extensive makeover, the three-story Greek Revival building, built in 1917, served first as the headquarters of the private University Club followed by a series of banks. The CNY Philanthropy Center now serves as a hub for community collaboration, featuring meeting rooms and a ballroom available for use by other nonprofits in the area.
WHY LEED CERTIFIED
- Approximately 91% of the waste generated on site during renovation was recycled and diverted from landfills; that’s the equivalent of 63 fully loaded dump trucks full of debris!
- The process of “daylight harvesting” (using natural lighting) to maintain indoor temperatures and reduce the use of electric lights
- Energy-efficient window and door replacements styled to replicate the building’s original designs
- Storm-water controls like pervious pavement and a rain garden filter water run-off.
“The Community Foundation’s mission to serve as a sustainable and lasting steward of our community’s philanthropic goals is represented by our permanent, welcoming and ‘green’ home,” said Peter Dunn, President and CEO of the Community Foundation. “By adaptively reusing an old building in an environmentally sensitive way, we model sustainability in an emerging center of the green economy while reaffirming the importance of a vibrant city center to our entire region.”
The program manager for the Philanthropy Center project was C&S Companies. King & King Architects created the design concept for the adaptive reuse of the building and VIP Structures served as design-builder.
About the CNY Philanthropy Center
The CNY Philanthropy Center was established by the Central New York Community Foundation in 2010. In addition to being headquartered in the building, the Community Foundation also utilizes the space for nonprofit, foundation and community leader collaboration. The building was originally constructed in 1917 for the private University Club of Syracuse. After numerous “green” renovations, including the addition of a new side stair tower and atrium, the Philanthropy Center received LEED Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. The Philanthropy Center is also home to a number of nonprofit tenants including SAGE Upstate, Junior League of Syracuse, the Allyn Foundation, the Health Foundation of Western & Central New York and the Human Services Leadership Council. For more information on using the Philanthropy Center, visit www.cnyphilanthropycenter.org.
About the Central New York Community Foundation
Established in 1927, the Central New York Community Foundation encourages local philanthropy by supporting the growth of a permanent charitable endowment for the betterment of the region. The Community Foundation is the largest charitable foundation in the region with assets of more than $143 million. It awarded $8.3 million in grants last year to nonprofit organizations and since its inception has invested more than $120 million in the community. The Community Foundation serves as the steward of charitable legacies for individuals, families and corporations through the administration of more than 600 funds. The organization also serves as a civic leader, convener and sponsor of special initiatives designed to strengthen nonprofits that address the region’s most pressing challenges.